top of page



Non-citizen spouses, parents, and unmarried minor children of U.S. citizen members of the U.S. military (current or past) who are in the U.S. after an unlawful entry may have an opportunity known as "Parole In Place" or PIP. This allows those who already qualify for a green card based on this close family relationship to "adjust status" - as in, apply for lawful permanent residence or a green card - without leaving the United States, despite their past illegal entry and stay.

**Excludes people who are already in removal/deportation proceedings or already have a final order of removal on their immigration record, Multiple unlawful entries. Criminal Record, etc. 

  • Expedited and/or Free Naturalization Process for Permanent Resident Soldiers. No Fees.

  • Mentorship for Minorities whom join the Idaho Army National Guard. ASVAB/Education/Job Search (MOS)



MSG Luis Velasquez

Text/Call: 208-477-3310


Text/Call: 208-661-1416


SSG Eduardo (Eddie) Avalos



What immigration benefits are available if I join the military or if a family member joins the military?

Having permanent residency allows you to join the Idaho Army National Guard. Once you become an Idaho Guardsman you will be able to naturalize sooner as well as be able to help your family.


With membership in the Idaho Army National Guard, PIP will allow your immediate family (parents, siblings, your spouse) to “wait in line” to enter the US, even though they are already in the US. Your immediate family will be able to apply for work permits as well as a status adjustment to “permanent residency” with the petition of you, the Idaho Guardsman.

(*this is based on no criminal history or deportations)

How do I become a U.S. Citizen?

The two ways to become a U.S. citizen are through birth and through naturalization. With membership in the Idaho Army National Guard, the naturalization process can go quicker and smoother. A period of 5-years being a permanent resident is required prior to becoming a citizen; however, with being an Idaho Guardsman, that time is shortened. . During the permanent residency time, you have to show you’ve spent more time inside the U.S. than outside of the U.S., and you were never absent from the U.S. long enough to “abandon” your permanent residency.

Additionally, you must pass a background check and show your ability with the English language and a basic knowledge of U.S. history, geography, and civics. You will need to answer enough questions correctly in a civics exam (questions like “Who was the first president of the United States?” or “What is the capital of the United States?”), read a sentence in English, and write a sentence in English.

I’m a U.S. citizen, and my parents want to come to the U.S. and become permanent residents.

How do I help them?

As an Idaho Guardsman, you can petition your parents and your immediate family, with your petition being the highest priority. When the petitions are approved, they are forwarded to the U.S. embassy in the country where your parents live, and there they apply for their permanent residency visas. The embassy then schedules them for an interview. In the interview, a consular officer verifies whether your parents meet the requirements, or if they have any reasons to be inadmissible (such as criminal history or prior deportations or other U.S. immigration violations). If the visas are approved, your parents can enter the U.S., and they are permanent residents. They can order green cards to come in the mail.

bottom of page